team picture 1991 to 92

Pre-season saw the initial welcome return of Paul Lake to training, however in his first session he broke down and unfortunately he was given the news that his cruciate ligament which had been ‘repaired’ in an operation almost a year before had re-ruptured and would need further surgery.
So just prior to the season kick off City’s board showed their commitment to Peter Reid as they paid out £2.5M to bring Keith Curle from Wimbledon, A British record fee for an English defender and he was immediately awarded the captaincy.
Players who were shown the door included Mark Ward and Alan Harper who moved back to former club Everton. The Blues played a game at Edgeley Park for Andy Thorpe’s Testimonial, Stockport drawing 2-2.
It was a hat-trick of wins for City to start the season, a 1-0 win at Coventry followed by a 2-1 defeat of Liverpool and 3-2 over Crystal Palace , both at Maine Road.
The Blues stayed unbeaten with a 0-0 draw at Norwich but then suffered their first reverse losing 2-1 to Arsenal at Highbury. Leaving them in a lofty third place in the league after five games.
The Blues kept up their 100% home record by beating Nottingham Forest 2-1, however on their travels City lost 3-0 against Leeds.
Two further defeats followed, 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday and 1-0 to Everton both at Maine Road. The ship was steadied with a 2-1 win at West Ham to leave Peter Reid’s side in 6th position after ten games.
The Blues take Danny Hoekman on trial from Den Haag. In the Rumbelows Cup 2nd Round City beat Chester 3-1 at Maine Road in the 1st leg.
City suffer a spate of injuries in a 2-1 home defeat against Oldham , Niall Quinn, Keith Curle and Andy Hill all look likely to be out for at least the next game.
An understrength City side win 3-1 at Notts County with Hoekman making his debut as a second half substitute.
The Blues 2nd leg cup tie against Chester is played at Stockport and City win 3-0.
A good 1-0 win at Tottenham in the league was followed by a 3-2 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday in the Zenith Data Systems Cup.
Another win in the league, 3-2 at home to Sheffield United and it was back to cup action again with a 0-0 draw at Maine Road against QPR in the 3rd Round of the Rumbelows Cup.
City’s league form continued with a fourth away win on the trot, 3-0 at Southampton ,
Colin Hendry’s two year spell at Maine Road was ended on 7th November as he moved to Blackburn for £750,000 City then drew 0-0 at Maine Road against rivals Manchester United .
Peter Reid’s men booked a place in the 4th Round of the Rumbelows Cup with a 3-0 win in the 3rd round replay at QPR .
Back in the league it was six games unbeaten as City drew 2-2 at Luton leaving them well positioned in the league, in 3rd place on 30 points.
A further draw in the league, 0-0 at home to Wimbledon was followed by City’s exit from the Rumbelows Cup as they were beaten 2-1 at Middlesbrough in the 4th round.
A first defeat in eight league games saw City beaten 3-1 at Aston Villa and then the Blues drew 2-2 with QPR at Maine Road, dropping to 5th in the league but level on points with third placed Sheffield Wednesday.
A further 2-2 draw at Liverpool and City bought Steve McMahon from the scousers a few days later.
A good Christmas period followed, a 2-1 Boxing Day win against Norwich and then 2 days later a 1-0 win over Arsenal both at Maine Road. The end of the year saw Clive Allen move to Chelsea
The first day of 1992 brought a 1-1 draw at Chelsea , but then in the FA cup City were knocked out by bogey side Middlesbrough 2-1 in the 3rd Round.
Back to the league and the Blues drew 1-1 at Crystal Palace. Peter Reid’s men were now 4th equal on points with 3rd place Liverpool but 11 points behind leaders Leeds.
The Blues kept the pressure on at the top with two 1-0 wins at Maine Road against Coventry and Tottenham before a disappointing 4-2 defeat at Sheffield United . Peter Reid took the team to play in Colin Cowperthwaite’s Testimonial at Barrow.
Back at Maine Road and City looked unbeatable as they disposed of Luton 4-0, however away from Manchester the Blues were struggling, they were beaten 2-1 at Wimbledon , they won at home again, 2-0 against Aston Villa but lost on their travels again, 4-0 at QPR where Fitzroy Simpson made his debut after his £500,000 move from Swindon a few days earlier.
After 32 games The Citizens had 53 points and were still in a lofty fourth position.
Michel Vonk joined City on loan from SVV Dordrecht for the rest of the season.
City’s hopes of a European place were dashed by some poor form which saw them lose 1-0 at home to Southampton , 2-0 at Nottingham Forest and 0-0 draw against Chelsea at Maine Road.
Leeds visit to Maine Road produced an excellent 4-0 win for Peter Reid’s side and this was followed by a battling 1-1 draw at Old Trafford against Manchester United .
The Blues were still struggling on their travels and it was 13 away matches without a win as they lost 2-0 at Sheffield Wednesday .
City then beat West Ham 2-0 at Maine Road and then at the 14th time of asking The Blues finally won away from home 2-1 against Everton at Goodison Park.
City end the season in style beating Notts County 2-0 at Maine Road then a 5-2 win at Oldham in the last game of the campaign, which brings an excellent 5th place finish in the league.
Tony Coton was named City’s Player of the Year.
The Blues played two end of season friendlies, losing 2-1 to Manchester United in Ken Barnes’ testimonial at Maine Road and then they travelled to Limerick where they won 3-1.


One thought on “1991/92

  1. Tuesday, 21st January 1992 Portadown v Manchester City
    Thursday, 23rd January 1992 Derry City 0 Manchester City 2
    (Report and teams in the Irish Independent)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *