Manchester City v Nottingham Forest League Cup 4th Rd 1975/76

Notts F home league cup 1975to76 prog


League Cup 3rd Round

8th October 1975

attendance 26,536

Royle(12), Bell(51)
Forest Bowyer(67)

Ref Michael Lowe

City  Corrigan, Clements, Donachie, Doyle, Watson, Oakes, Hartford, Bell, Royle, Marsh, Barnes – sub Power(unused)
Forest Middleton, Gunn, Clark, Chapman, Cottam, Richardson, O’Neill, McGovern, O’Hare, Bowyer, Robertson

City are certainly making it hard work for themselves in the League Cup this season. In the last round it took a three game marathon to dispose of Norwich.
In this 3rd round tie against Forest they looked to be in total control, certainly in the first half, however missed chances meant they only went in to the second half one goal up, then when Colin Bell put them 2-0 up six minutes after the break City should have coasted into the 4th round.
Then with less than 25 minutes ex-Blue Ian Bowyer pulled one back, and then it was all out attack from the visitors as they pushed for an equaliser.
City’s first goal came after 12 minutes, when Joe Royle powered in a header from a Willie Donachie cross. And then Bell’s goal was a shot from a Joe Royle pass.
In the 67th minute Bowyer took a long ball from Richardson in his path and cleverly lobbed the ball over the approaching Joe Corrigan.
It was then the brilliance of Corrigan and a glaring error by referee Michael Lowe that saw City through to the 4th round.
Big Joe made two fantastic saves from O’Hare, plus further efforts from Bowyer and Richardson in a whirlwind last 23 minutes. Manager Tony Book commented: “It was diabolical the way we let the game slip away from us. We are fortunate to be in the fourth round, and we would not have been but for our goalkeeper.”
Book was also thankful that referee Lowe didn’t see an obvious handball in the City penalty area with minutes left. “Luckily for us he was on the wrong side to see it.” said a relieved Book.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *