Amongst the new playing staff brought in during the summer was Charlie Pringle, who joined from St Mirren and it was not the best debut for the Scottish Wing Half as the opening day brought a 2-0 defeat against Sheffield United, then despite beating Middlesbrough 2-1 at home they then drew 3-3 against Sheffield United at Hyde Road and lost 5-0 at Middlesbrough and 1-0 at home to Birmingham. The early season league table saw City in 19th place with three points. The Blues took an early break from the league and won 3-1 against an International XI
City’s form improved towards the end of September with a 1-0 win at Birmingham, a 3-1 win at home to Huddersfield and a 1-1 draw again against Huddersfield at Leeds Road.
October saw an upsurge in form, the Blues drew 1-1 at Stoke to move mid-table, then beat Stoke 2-1 in Ardwick, Preston 2-0 at Deepdale and at Hyde Road they beat Preston again 2-1.
Moving into November despite a 2-0 defeat at West Brom City were now 6th in Division One just three points behind leaders Liverpool with a third of the season gone.
The Blues then drew 1-1 against West Brom and beat Bolton 2-0, both games played at Hyde Road.
City then played a Charity game in Stalybridge where they beat a combined Stalybridge Celtic and Stockport County side 1-0.
Back in the league City it as a mixed set of results as they lost 2-1 at Bolton, drew 0-0 at Blackburn, then at Hyde Road they beat Blackburn 2-1 and lost 3-1 at Cardiff as we moved into the Festive period.
Two days before Christmas City beat Cardiff 5-1 at Hyde Road, then on Christmas Day they drew 0-0 against Everton at Goodison Park but on Boxing Day at Hyde Road Everton were beaten 2-1.
In the last game of 1922 City won again beating Oldham 3-2 in Ardwick.
1923 started with another win against Oldham, 3-0 at Boundary Park which put City into fith in the league, six points behind leaders Liverpool.
In the FA Cup 1st Round City were surprisingly beaten by Charlton 2-1 at Hyde Road.
January finished with two games against The Gunners, Arsenal won the first game, 1-0 at Highbury, then at Hyde Road Arsenal stopped City scoring again in a 0-0 draw.
February started with another defeat, 2-0 at Aston Villa, City were now eleven points behind leaders Liverpool and it looked like the last season at Hyde Road was going to be trophyless.
The Blues then drew 1-1 at home to Aston Villa and lost 2-0 at Burnley, then at the seventh time of asking they gained a victory beating Burnley 1-0 at home.
A further loss against Tottenham ensued, Spurs winning 3-1 at White Hart Lane. With no game to play in the FA Cup City took the chance to play Manchester United in a friendly and won 5-0. Then back in the league City won two games on the trot beating Tottenham 3-0 and high flying Liverpool 1-0, both games at Hyde Road.
Leaders Liverpool increased their lead at the summit by beating City 2-0 at Anfield.
Easter saw City lose 2-0 at Sunderland on Good Friday, on Easter Saturday they beat Chelsea 3-0 and on Bank Holiday Monday they won again beating Sunderland 1-0, both games at Hyde Road.
The season petered out with a 1-1 draw at Chelsea, a further 1-1 draw at home to Nottingham Forest, then a 2-0 defeat at The City Ground to Nottingham Forest.
It was to be an unaspicious last game at Hyde Road on 28th April as City drew 0-0 against Newcastle and then in the last game of the season at St James’ Park Newcastle won 3-1.
The Blues finished in 8th position on 45 points. City had played their last game at Hyde Road, the lease had ended and it was to be used for improvements in the tram network. Next seasion they would take their place in a new super stadium in Moss Side that would be capable of holding over 80.000 spectators.

Comments are closed.