It was the third season of War Leagues and once again City took part in The Football League Lancashire Section. With  many of their pre-war players signed up to fight in the conflict City’s staff was depleted, and fielded guest players instead. The Blues started the season well beating Stockport 2-1 at Hyde Road, then at Edgeley Park they beat Stockport again, 1-0. At Hyde Road against Oldham they drew 2-2 and in the return game at Boundary Park Oldham grabbed another point in a 0-0 draw. 20,000 fans paying over £500 in gate receipts packed into Hyde Road to see City beat Manchester United 3-1. The early table showed City in fifth, two points behind leaders Stoke. The Blues continued their unbeaten start as they moved into October, drawing 1-1 against Manchester United at Old Trafford, beating Bury 3-1 in Manchester and at Gigg Lane Bury were beaten again, 5-2. The last game in October saw City’s first defeat as leaders Stoke won in a 4-3 thriller at The Victoria Ground. Moving into November however, City started well as they inflicted a first defeat on leaders Stoke, beating them 1-0 at Hyde Road, to move into thiird in the table just three points behind The Potters. Unfortunately City didn’t win again in November, losing 2-0 to Liverpool at Anfield, then at Hyde Road they drew 1-1 against Liverpool and then drew 0-0 at Southport Central. Moving into December they met Southport Central again, however at Hyde Road they disposed of them easily in a 5-0 victory. The Blues went on to win another four games in December beating Burnley 4-0 at Turf Moor, then at Hyde Road Burnley were beaten again 4-1. Three days before Christmas Day they beat Blackburn 1-0 in Manchester. The restrictions on travelling during the Festive period meant that there were no league games played during the holiday, but on Christmas Day City lost 2-0 against Manchester United in a friendly at Hyde Road, however on 29th December City beat Blackburn 4-0 at Ewood Park in the league. The Blues were in a great position to challenge for the title, they were just three points behind leaders Liverpool with 18 games played. On New Years Day The Blues played a further friendly against Manchester United  and lost 2-0 at Old Trafford. January’s league form started with a 1-1 draw against Rochdale at Hyde Road, then at Spotland Rochdale were beaten 4-1. City then lost 2-0 against Everton at Hyde Road and then at Goodison Park they drew 0-0 with Everton. The Blues started February with two wins, Port Vale were beaten 5-1 at Hyde Road then at The Recreation Ground Port Vale lost 2-0. However the month ended with two defeats, City were beaten by Bolton 1-0 at Burnden Park, then at Hyde Road Bolton sealed a double over The Blues with another 1-0 win. Although City then beat Preston 2-0 at Deepdale the main League competition finished with a 2-1 defeat at home to Preston, a 1-0 defeat against Blackpool on the Fylde Coast and a 2-2 draw at Hyde Road against Blackpool. City’s faltering end to the main season meant they finished fourth in the league, ten points behind Champions Stoke. City contended Group B in the League Subsidiary Tournament and started with a great 3-0 win against Manchester United at Hyde Road, then a 4-1 win at Port Vale was followed by a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford against Manchester United. City then beat Port Vale 1-0 at Hyde Road, drew 1-1 at Stoke and then beat Stoke 2-0 in Manchester to win Group B. A combined Manchester City and United XI then played a friendly against Leeds in aid of the National War Fund for disabled footballers, over 12,000 fans saw Manchester win 3-0. City went on to play two further friendlies beating Stockport 1-0 at home and then at Edgeley Park Stockport were beaten 4-1, again both games were played in aid of the National War Fund for disabled footballers

Comments are closed.