Manchester City v Wolverhampton Wanderers 1973/74

 wolves home 1973 to 74 prog



League Division 1

30th March 1974

attendance 25,236

City Lee(37)
Wolves Kindon(57)

Ref Trevor Reynolds

City MacRae, Pardoe, Donachie, Doyle, Booth,  Horswill, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Oakes, Carrodus – sub Whelan(unused)

Wolves Parkes, Palmer, Parkin, Bailey, Jefferson, McAlle, Hibbitt, Powell, Sunderland, Kindon, Wagstaffe – sub Dougan(80)

wolves home 1973 to 74 action7




Leading scorer Francis Lee was again on the mark for Manchester City today as they snapped into a 37th minute lead against Wolves, the side who pipped them for the League Cup earlier this month.
Lee, two-goal hero of Wednesday’s victory over Newcastle United, ended a breathtaking run with a shot that Wolves goalkeeper Phil Parkes found too hot to handle.
In sharp contrast City goalkeeper Keith Macrae made a brilliant save from Steve Kindon as Wolves counterpunched in a match that brightened after a depressing start.
However, City were let off the hook two minutes before their goal when Swansea referee Trevor Reynolds, after the intervention of a linesman, cancelled out a goal following a great shot by Ken Hibbitt.
City’s £275,000 left-winger Dennis Tueart failed a fitness test on a damaged in-step shortly before the kick-0ff, and was replaced by Frank Carrodus.
Wolves dropped Irish international Derek Dougan, making him substitute for the first time this season.
…The first threat by Wolves saw Hibbitt cross for Sunderland to head wide. Then from the goal kick by Macrae came an incredible mix-up.
Doyle turned to send the ball back to his goalkeeper and it struck Booth on the chest and bounced to Kindon. He pounced on to the error but shot wide.
Lee made space on the right and though his cross eluded Bell’s head the ball dropped at the feet of Summerbee.
The City skipper drove in a fierce shot which was blocked by McAlle with Summerbee heatedly disputing that the Wolves’ defender had handled on the line.
There was little sparkle from either side.
But the refreshing Carrodus was working hard. He won a corner after starting the move in his own half and Lee’s first attempt at an inswinger was blocked by Palmer. When Lee crossed again Parkes took the ball without trouble.
Lee tested Parkes with a low shot, but once more he took the ball easily.
In the 34th minute a fine run by Bailey saw him take over from Wagstaffe. The Wolves’ skipper clipped the ball back to Hibbitt, who drove a 25 yard shot low into the bottom corner of the net.
After first awarding a goal referee Reynolds consulted a linesman whose flag was up at the time of the shot and after a brief consultation the goal was disallowed, presumably for another Wolves player being offside.
Three minutes later City also got the ball in the net, and this time it counted.
Lee, two goal hero of Wednesday’s victory, was on the mark after a blistering run took him past two Wolves defenders. Carrodus started the move.
The final shot was only parried by Parkes, the ball dropping into the net for the former England striker’s 17th goal of the season, his ninth in the First Division.
Half-time: Manchester City 1, Wolverhampton Wanderers 0.
… Summerbee after some clever work in a confined space by Lee, crossed to the far post where Oakes headed back across the face of the goal. As Lee moved in for the kill, Bailey leapt courageously to drive behind.
After Horswill had blocked a shot by Powell, the industrious Carrodus again took up the running. He went two-thirds of the field before giving Lee scope to unleash a powerful left foot drive just over.
… Wolves finally earned their reward in the 57th minute with an equaliser for which the Blues had only themselves to blame.
There seemed little real danger when Bailey clipped the ball back from the right with Sunderland missing it completely. The cross went on to Kindon, who completely unmarked, easily drove the ball into the top of the net.
… In the 75th minute Bell had the best chance when Parkes missed a Summerbee corner. Bell shot from the edge of the six yard area, but Jefferson got a foot to the ball deflecting it over the bar.
… Bell, twice and Summerbee, both went close as City monopolised the closing stages.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *