Manchester City v Sheffield United 1987/88

sheff utd home 1987 to 88 prog


League Division 2

10th October 1987

Attendance 18,377

White(4), I Brightwell(14)
Sheffield United Frain(6), Morris(46 pen), Philliskirk(75)

Ref F Roberts

City Nixon, Gidman, Hinchcliffe, Seagraves, Brightwell, Redmond, McNab, Stewart, White, Scott, Lake – subs Clements(59), Simpson(75)

Sheffield United Leaning, Wilder, Pike, Kuhl, Standliffe, Barnsley, Morris, Philliskirk, Beagrie, Dempsey, Frain – subs Marsden, Mendonca


Teenager David White gave Manchester City a flying start with a sizzling goal after just four minutes against Sheffield United at Maine Road today.
But the Blades sliced their way back for David Frain to equalise two minutes later. Another youngster, Ian Brightwell, restored the lead for City with his first senior goal in a game of high excitement but innumerable mistakes from both sides.
But a suspect penalty immediately after half-time saw United equalise for the second time, Colin Morris sending Eric Nixon the wrong way with his spot kick.
Two goals in as many minutes provided the game with an explosive start.
City raced into a fourth minute lead with a superb effort fashioned by four of their exciting teenagers.
Lake and Hinchcliffe did the spadework, before Scott intelligently pulled the ball back for White to drill in a splendid low drive that left Leaning no chance.
But the advantage was short-lived. The Blades bounced back after Redmond had conceded a left-flanking corner when closing down on Kuhl.
Dempsey, the former Manchester United midfielder, floated in the corner towards the near post. Stancliffe got the vital headed flick on for Frain to score with a stooping header from beyond the far post.
And the excitement didn’t end there. Non-stop City roared back to regain the lead.
Brightwell rushed in from the right to beat Leaning with a header after Scott had cleverly hit the ball back across the face of the goal with an overhead kick.
Half-time: Manchester City 2, Sheffield United 1

Within 60 seconds of the resumption United had equalised for a second time, although it was from a highly suspect penalty.
It appeared as though Hinchcliffe and Frain had merely collided with each other, but the referee had other ideas, and amid a storm of booing pointed to the spot from where Morris sent Nixon the wrong way.
…City were finally punished for sloppy defensive work in the 75th minute when United took the lead, with Nixon committing yet another outrageous error.
The under-fire City goalkeeper could only tamely palm out a cross from Beagrie on the left and Philliskirk had the easiest of tasks in heading into an empty net.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *