Manchester City v Liverpool F.A. Cup 4th Round Replay 1972/73

liverpool home fa cup 1972 to 73 prog


F.A. Cup 4th Round Replay

7th February 1973

attendance 49,572

scorers Bell(14), Booth(51)

Ref Pat Partridge

City Corrigan, Book, Donachie, Doyle, Booth, Jeffries, Summerbee, Bell, Marsh, Lee, Towers – sub Towers(unused)

 Liverpool Clemence, Lawlor, Lindsay, Thompson, Lloyd, Hughes, Keegan, Cormack, Heighway, Toshack, Callaghan – sub Boersma(53)


 liverpool home fa cup 1972 to 73 bell 1-0 liverpool home fa cup 1972 to 73 booth 2-0

 Taken from an article by John Maddocks in the City programme 13th March 1988
… Both teams were unchanged, just under 50,000 turned up (over 56,000 having watched the first game) and Pat Partridge was again the official in charge. The game lived up to expectations in that there was far more flowing football, most of it from City, and while there would undoubtedly be tension, it did not manifest itself in bitterness.
The Blues were on top form. Again Jeffries played magnificently, as did Towers and Willie Donachie. They were so effective at the back that Corrigan had little to do for most of the game, and in fact he must have been glad of the exercise at one point when he captured a trespassing dog that had invaded the pitch.
It took City 13 minutes to open the scoring. Moving towards the Platt Lane end, Bell gained possession and fed Towers. The ball flowed on to Donachie and then to Lee who hit in a fierce shot. Clemence managed to parry it but only to Colin Bell who made no mistake.
Marsh was far more evident in attack than he had been at Anfield, and he caused flutters in the Reds’ camp when firstly he almost lobbed Clemence, who did well to get to the ball, and then came a Marsh special, an overhead kick which had the Liverpool keeper shining again. Corrigan, at the other end, stopped a powerful Toshack drive but as stated was rarely troubled.
Our second goal arrived after 51 minutes. Its beginnings were slightly odd. Mr. Partridge awarded City a comer after the ball had run out of play, Lee and Emlyn Hughes being the players struggling for possession. A linesman then stepped in and the referee altered his decision and gave City an indirect free-kick because of Hughes being obstructive. Summerbee floated the ball over and Tommy Booth evaded Alec Lindsay to ram the ball home. Lloyd was booked again, his 3rd booking in 3 matches, and Doyle and Lee followed him into the book, but these were minor blemishes on a sparkling and intriguing game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *