Everton v Manchester City 1975/76

 everton away 1975 to 76 prog1


League Division 1

15th November 1975

attendance 32,077

City Booth(17)
Everton Telfer(85)

Ref Mr R Toseland

City  Corrigan, Clements, Donachie, Doyle, Watson, Oakes, Barnes, Booth, Royle, Hartford, Tueart – sub Power(12)

Everton Lawson, Darracott, Seargeant, Pearson, McNaught, Lyons, Buckley, Dobson, Irving, Smallman, Jones – sub Telfer(67)



Tommy Booth tempered the tragedy of another crippling Manchester City injury by shooting the Blues into a 17th minute lead against Everton at rain-lashed Goodison Park this afternoon.
Booth cleverly glided in a Willie Donachie cross to help offset the loss of England winger Dennis Tueart, who overstretched in the ninth minute and painfully limped out of the game 60 seconds later.
Now Tueart must be doubtful to join Don Revie’s squad for the vital European Championship match in Portugal next week, the second City player England look like losing in four days.
Colin Bell was carried off in the 5th minute of Wednesday’s League Cup tie at Maine Road and will be out of action for at least a month.
… Royle received a warm welcome from home fans. Two of them presented him with good luck mascots.
… City’s first threat saw them win a corner with Barnes exploiting an error by Dobson.
Tueart’s outswinger found Hartford unmarked and the Scot, who had such a magnificent League Cup match in midweek, headed inches over.
… In the 17th minute City overcame the Tueart disappointment by taking the lead.
Oakes and Donachie traded passes on the left, and Donachie crossed to the far post where Booth came in smoothly to glide in a delightful, angled shot, his second goal of the season.
… Five minutes from half-time City should have gone further ahead when Donachie chipped the ball into the middle and Lyons missed the clearance, leaving Royle free. Given a gilt-edged opportunity to put one over his former colleagues, he pulled his shot into the side netting.
But in the 44th minute Everton broke loose for Smallman to shoot on the run, Corrigan making another splendid save at a vital psychological moment.
HALF-TIME: Everton 0, Manchester City 1.
A clever Royle back-header fell at the feet of Pearson, who cleared as Barnes quickly closed in.
… In the 65th minute Power coolly took the ball off Dobson and set off on a run that could have given City the second goal they badly needed at this delicate stage. But with both Barnes and Hartford screaming for the ball on the left, he tried a shot that went just wide.
… Four minutes from the end Everton’s pressure finally paid off with an equaliser.
Booth was penalised for a foul on Jones just outside the penalty area. As Hartford disputed the kick he was warned about time-wasting by the referee and when Jones finally took the kick substitute Telfer scooped low to head in the equaliser.
In the last minute the game almost finished dramatically as Power pushed the ball through to Barnes, the winger rounded Lawson and shot from the narrowest of angles, but Seargeant headed gallantly off the line.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *