Doncaster v Manchester City Carling Cup 2nd Round 2005/06

DONCASTER ROVERS 1 CITY 1 (after extra-time)
Doncaster won 3-0 on penalties

Carling Cup 2nd Round

21st September 2005

attendance 8,228

City Vassell(95 pen)
Doncaster Mclndoe(118 pen)
Mclndoe(scored, 1-0)
Vassell(missed, 1-0)
Coppinger(scored, 2-0)
Sibierski(saved, 2-0)
Heffernan(scored, 3-0)
Dunne(saved, 3-0)

ref G. Salisbury

City James, Onuoha, Thatcher, Dunne, Distin, Reyna, Sun, Ireland, Sibierski, Vassell, Hussein – subs Croft(66), Jordan(90), Sommeil(unused), DeVlieger(unused), Richards(unused)

Doncaster Warrington, McGuire, McDaid, S Roberts, Albrighton, Green, Coppinger, Predic, Fortune-West, Guy, McIndoe – Subs Ravenhill(52), Heffernan(81), Budtz(105), N Roberts(unused), Mulligan(unused)

doncaster 2005 to 06 action7

The last time that Doncaster Rovers and Manchester City locked swords was a night that will live in Rovers folklore. Rovers recorded their first ever victory over top-flight opposition in the League Cup by overcoming Manchester City in a dramatic penalty shoot-out. After a goalless 90 minutes, a penalty for each side in extra time sent the tie to the penalty competition where Rovers were triumphant 3-0.
Rovers were unchanged from their home game against Scunthorpe, except for the cup-tied Jonathan Forte replaced by Lewis Guy. City forced the pace in the early stages of the game, with Jihai, Siblerskl, Hussein and Vassell having good chances denied by Andy Warrington. Rovers showed that they could give as good as they got as McIndoe’s low goal-bound shot was cleared by Ireland.
The second half saw few chances to either side, with mainly long-distance shots being the order of the day. The final minute of normal time almost saw City win the game, with Croft’s centre being smashed against the crossbar by Sun Jihai.
And so to extra time. Five minutes into the additional period, Dunne stumbled over Phil McGuire’s outstretched leg, and City had won a penalty. Vassell beat Warrington to put the Premiership side ahead.

doncaster away 2005 to 06 action

But the drama hadn’t finished yet- Rovers received another setback as Warrington broke his leg in a challenge with Onuoha, with the City man being rather harshly being sent off. Danish keeper Jan Budtz came on, with little idea of how dramatic his Rovers debut was to be!
Just two minutes remained when Paul Heffernan was pushed in the penalty area, and Rovers were awarded a penalty, which Mclndoe coolly put past David James to make it 1-1 at the end of extra time.
The penalty shoot-out. Mclndoe started off the proceedings by putting Rovers 1-0 up. Vassell then blasted the ball against the bar, and James Coppinger scored Rovers’ second – followed by Budtz blocking Sibierski’s spot kick. Heffernan took Rovers’ third to put Rovers 3-0 up, and when Dunne’s effort was superbly tipped onto the post by Budtz, Belle Vue erupted in celebration.
A wonderful week for Rovers – Scunthorpe defeated, the contracts for the new stadium agreed and victory over a top-class Manchester City side
Adapted from an article In Doncaster away programme 14th July 2008

doncaster away 2005 to 06 action2NEDUM ONUOHA KICKING BACK  From NEDUM ONUOHA, KICKING BACK
… My first start of the following season brought the first red card of my career. After easing my way in after the hamstring injury, I was able to play in a League Cup game at Doncaster, a club two Divisions below Manchester City.
We were the better team and should have been winning comfortably, but the game went into extra time at 0-0. We eventually scored through Darius Vassell and were pushing for a second.

doncaster away 2005 to 06 sibierskiRacing up from right back, I was free in the penalty area and put my hands up for someone to play me in. All I could think was: “I could score a goal here. I’m a right back, and I could score a goal.” I’d been a City first team player for almost a year and I’d never been this far forward, let alone kicked the ball towards the goal.
Free as a bird at the back post, I was played in and took the heaviest touch the world has ever seen.
“Oh my God, what am I doing here?” I thought.
The goalkeeper was rushing out, but I could still get there first and make up for my error.
I tried to slide in and flick it over him.
And missed.
“Crap. The keeper’s saved it.” I was convinced.
The referee was convinced of something else. He came flying over and thrust his hand into the air.
There was a red card in it.
“Hold on a sec, what’s happened here?” I genuinely didn’t have a clue.

doncaster away 2005 to 06 dunne pen missThe keeper, Andy Warrington, was on the floor, shouting and screaming. Literally five seconds earlier I’d thought I was going to score my first senior goal, and the next thing I knew I was being sent off.
The home fans, packed into Doncaster’s Old Belle Vue stadium, hammered me as I left the pitch. Then I became even more confused. I didn’t know what to do after getting sent off, as it’d never happened to me before, and certainly not at an away ground while I was getting dogs’ ause from all around.
Where should I go? Where’s the tunnel? I eventually found my way back to the dressing room and listened as City lost on penalties. The team had conceded an equaliser without me and then couldn’t convert any of their spot kicks in the shoot-out. I was devastated.
… I was still baffled as to why I’d been sent off. I looked at my phone in the dressing room, and all the messages were asking why it was a red card. Following the game, the referee told the City coaching staff it was a mistake and it would be rescinded. But the damage had been done…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *