Although the 2nd World War technically ended in May 1945 when Germany surrendered. War time leagues continued with City particpating in the League North section.
with this being the transition between war leagues and the proposed move back to the traditionally structured leagues ‘guest appearances’ would be restricted to six per game.
The players could now command a maximum £4 fee for each match and the entry fee for adult fans was set at 1s, 6d, except service men who paid 9d.
Just over a week before the first game of the season, Peter Docherty was placed on the transfer list at his own request, he was anxious that he would be playing 1st Division football in a year’s time rather than another season with City in Division 2.
City got off to a good start with a 2-1 home win over Middlesbrough, however with many stars still missing, including Docherty, who was guesting for Derby and captain, Sam Barkas who was still stationed away with the RAF, City really struggled over the next month.
In the return game against Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park they drew 2-2, however they lost their next four games, 2-0 at Stoke, 5-1 to Sheffield Wednesday, 2-0 to Stoke and 2-0 to Grimsby the last three games all at Maine Road.
the return against Grimsby at Blundell Park saw City win 2-0, however they lost again 5-4 at Blackpool and in the return at Maine Road Blackpool won again, 4-1.
With the Blue’s defence leaking goals for fun, they were bouyed by the return of full back Barkas after being demobbed from the RAF, and their fortunes changed dramatically as they won the next five games, 1-0 at home to Liverpool, 5-0 against Liverpool at Anfield, 3-1 against Bury at Gigg Lane, 4-1 at home to Bury and 4-2 against Blackburn at Maine Road. City finshed November with a 1-1 draw at Blackburn .
December brought good news for the players as the League announced that pre-war bonuses of £2 for a win and £1 for a draw were being re-introduced and straight away City’s players enjoyed an enhanced pay day as they won 3-2 away at Bradford Park Avenue.
Peter Docherty eventually got his wish to move away from Maine Road as he was transferred for a fee of £6,500 to Derby County, where he had been ‘guesting’.
It was another win against Bradford Park Avenue, this time 6-0 at Maine Road. However as the Festive period approached City lost twice, 1-0 to Burnley at Turf Moor, and at Maine Road Burnley won again, 2-1.
Christmas Day saw City beat Newcastle 4-3 at Maine Road and in the return at Newcastle on Boxing Day they drew 1-1, the end of 1945 saw another 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday, and New Years Day 1946 brought a 3-2 victory over Huddersfield at Maine Road.
Although the official league divisions would not officially start again until the Summer, the FA Cup returned for the first time since 1939 and in an effort to bring in extra revenue for the clubs involved all rounds up to the sixth would be played over two legs. In the first leg of their 3rd round tie City beat 3rd Division Barrow 6-2, and although Barrow put up a brave display at Holker Street, drawing 2-2, City progressed to the 4th round with an 8-4 aggregate score.
Back in the league and City won 1-0 at Chesterfield and the beat Chesterfield by the same score at Maine Road.
In the 1st leg of the FA Cup 4th round City set up a great chance of making the 5th round as they beat Bradford Park Avenue 3-1 away, however The Blues sensationally crashed out of the Cup as Bradford trounced City 8-2 at Maine Road.
The hangover of the exit from the FA Cup carried over to the league, City losing 2-0 at Barnsley , 4-1 at Everton and at Maine Road they were beaten by Everton again, 3-1.
The Blues managed a 1-0 win over Bolton at Maine Road, but the lost again, 3-1 at Preston and 3-2 at home to Barnsley .
Better form returned with two wins at Maine Road, 3-0 against Preston and 5-1 against Leeds , and although the Blue then lost 3-1 against Bolton at Burnden Park thet then beat Leeds 3-1 at Elland Road and in front of over 62,000 fans, City’s highest attendance of the season, they beat local rivals Manchester United 4-1. In the return game which was again played at Maine Road , Manchester United were victorious, winning 3-1.
Over Easter City lost 2-0 at home to Sunderland then beat Sheffield United at Bramall Lane and lost to Sunderland again, 4-0 at Roker Park.
In the last home game of the season City beat Sheffield United 2-1, but were beaten on the last day of the season, 3-0 at Huddersfield .
City ended the season in 10th place on 44 points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *