1942/43 SEASON
In what would be now the fourth war season, the Northern League would consist of two halves, the second period of games after Christmas would also count as qualifying games in the League War Cup.
Prior to the season City lost 5-1 to neighbours United in a friendly.
In the League it wasn’t the best start for the Blues as they lost 3-1 to Blackpool at Maine Road, then at Bloomfield Road Blackpool won again, 5-2 and then Wrexham won 4-2 at the Racecourse Ground.
City gained there first win against Wrexham , winning 5-1 and then beat Bolton 2-0, both games at Maine Road. However at Burnden Park Bolton won 2-1 and surprisingly Crewe then beat City 5-3 at Gresty Road.
Back at Maine Road however, The Blues made it three wins on the trot, beating Crewe 5-1. Peter Docherty then made his first appearance of the season, however one player does not make a team and City lost 4-1 at home to Liverpool , and Liverpool won again, 3-1 at Anfield.
Moving into November and City’s bad run of results continued as they lost 2-1 against Manchester United , the game was classed as a United home game but was played at Maine Road due to bomb damage at Old Trafford. In City’s ‘home’ game against Manchester United, The Blues lost again 5-0.
Chester were then beaten 4-2 at Maine Road and in the return at Sealand Road City drew 1-1 against Chester .
December brought three succesive victories, 3-1 against Tranmere at Prenton Park, 4-1 at Maine Road against Tranmere then an emphatic 7-1 home win against Everton .
In the final game of the first part of the season City lost 6-3 against Everton at Goodison Park on Christmas Day.
The Blues finished in a lowly 30th position on just 15 points.
Boxing Day brought the first game of tne second league programme and also the Cup qualifying games and City got off to a good start beating Bolton 4-2 at Burnden Park, and then in the return at Maine Road City beat Bolton 2-0.
The Blues continued their good form with a 7-1 victory over Stockport at Maine Road, and in the return at Edgeley Park Stockport lost 5-2. City then went top of the league with a 3-2 win over Bury at Gigg Lane, and at Maine Road Bury lost again, 3-2.
City then drew 0-0 against Manchester United at Maine Road and then in the away game against Manchester United also at Maine Road, the match was drawn again, 1-1.
In the final two qualifying games City were already assured of making the knockout stages and they lost 4-2 against Liverpool at Anfield and then at Maine Road beat Liverpool 3-1.
Moving into March City met Manchester United again, in the first round of the Cup which would be played over two legs, in the ‘away’ game of course at Maine Road City beat United 1-0 and in the ‘home’ game United were beaten again, 2-0.
City then moved into the last eight as they first lost 2-0 to Blackburn at Ewood Park and in the return Blackburn were beaten 4-0.
Blackpool proved to be worthy 3rd Round opponents and beat City 3-1 at Bloomfield Road, and then Blackpool   knocked City out of the cup drawing 1-1 at Maine Road.
The Blues finished the season with three league games, beating Chesterfield 2-1 at the recreation Ground, then at Maine Road Chesterfield drew 1-1 and again in Manchester, Huddersfield also pulled off a 1-1 draw.
in the very complicated 2nd period league format City finished 3rd on 27 points

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *