Pre-season City brought in Robert Regan from Partick Thistle
The season started with a 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough , however at Maine Road City found their shooting boots as they beat Leeds 4-0 and West Brom 6-2.
A trip to Leeds brought a 1-1 draw and then in the first Manchester Derby for five years, Manchester United won 3-2 in front of an Old Trafford crowd of nearly 70,000.
Back at Maine Road The Blues drew 1-1 against Birmingham and so after six games the early Division 1 table showed City in fifth place on six points.
A 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth and a 0-0 draw at home to Chelsea in the last game of September saw City drop to 15th.
October started with two draws, 2-2 at Stoke and 1-1 at home to Charlton, then at the eighth time of asking City came away with both points as they beat an under strength Derby County side 3-2 at Maine Road. The Blues had now moved up to eighth in Division 1 after 11 games, however the table was very tight with just five points separating the top 17 teams.
Further defeats followed however, as Wolves won 2-1 at Molyneux, and champions Sunderland won 4-2 at Maine Road, a first home defeat of the season for City.
The Citizens improved slightly with a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield and then beat Everton 4-1 at Maine Road and Bolton 2-0 at Burnden Park.
City’s next home game against Brentford was abandoned after 40 minutes with Maine Road became enshrouded by fog, the game was goalless at the time.
City kept up their winning form as they beat Arsenal 3-1 in a tremendous performance at Highbury and then beat Preston 4-1 at Maine Road to move within three points of leaders Charlton with a game in hand, having played 18 games.
Inevitably ‘typical City’ then lost 5-1 at Hillsborough against Sheffield Wednesday and then on Christmas Day lost 5-3 at Grimsby, however Boxing Day brought a good 2-1 win over Middlesbrough which left the Blues in eleventh position just four points behind leaders Arsenal as we reached the halfway point of the season.
The last game of 1936 was a 1-1 draw at home to Grimsby.
The New Year started with a 2-2 draw at West Brom and then a 1-0 win against Manchester United in front of a Maine Road crowd of nearly 65,000.
The FA Cup saw City easily through to the fourth round with a 3-1 win at Wrexham. The momentum was kept up with a good 3-1 win over Portsmouth at Maine Road in the league and then an expected victory in the fourth round of the FA Cup, beating Accrington Stanley 2-0 again at Maine Road.
The good form continued with a 4-4 draw at Chelsea, a 2-1 win at home to Stoke and a 1-1 draw at The Valley against Charlton .
in the FA Cup City easily beat Bolton 5-0 in the Fifth Round and then in their 12th unbeaten game on the trot The Blues beat Derby 5-0 at the Baseball Ground to move into third place in the league.
City won again in the league, beating Wolves 4-1 at Maine Road, however the Blues were surprisingly beaten 2-0 at Millwall in the FA Cup 6th Round.
Back in the league and a 3-1 home win against Huddersfield and a 1-1 draw at Everton left City in seventh position in the league just five points behind leaders Arsenal but with two games in hand as the all important Easter period approached.
It was a great holiday period for the Blues as they beat Liverpool 5-0 at Anfield and at Maine Road they drew 2-2 with Bolton and Liverpool were put to the sword again as City won 5-1 and finished March third in the league three points behind Leaders Arsenal but with two games in hand.
City kept up their irresistable form with a 6-2 win at Brentford, four days later Brentford visited a rainy Maine Road and were narrowly beaten by the Blues 2-1.
Nearly 75,000 fans packed into Maine Road for the top of the table clash against Arsenal, and the City team didn’t disappoint as they beat the Gunners 2-0 to go top of the league with just four games left to play.
City then made it 19 games unbeaten with a 3-1 win at Sunderland, with three games left The Citizens were three points ahead of second place Arsenal.
A 5-2 win at Preston meant that City would be Champions for the first time in their history if they beat Sheffield Wednesday at Maine Road in the penultimate game of the season.
champions 1936 to 37
The Blues won 4-1 and the League was won.
The Blues then had a trip to the seaside as they lost 1-0 in a friendly against Blackpool .
City finished the season as Champions as they made it 22 consecutive league games unbeaten with a 2-2 draw at Birmingham .
The newly crowned English Champions then went on an end of season tour of Germany where it is believed that City’s players were instructed by the German authorities to give the Nazi salute during the German national anthems, but City refused.
In their first game City drew 0-0 against Duisburg, and a further draw followed, 1-1 against Wuppertal . A first win saw The Blues beat a German XI 3-2.
70,000 fans in Berlin then watched a German XI beat City 3-2. The Blues played a final game in Stuttgart again against a German XI and lost 3-2.
In June the board released figures to show City made a profit of nearly £4,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *